TURKEY: Pernod Ricard speaks out over "heavy-handed" clampdown
Pernod is disappointed it was not consulted over the "heavy-handed" measures
The new restrictions, signed into law by Turkey's President Gul this month, include a ban on alcohol advertising, restricting where drinks are sold and consumed, and forcing producers to include health warnings on packaging. Details of the measures first emerged in a draft bill last month.
However, in its first public statement on the changes, Pernod Ricard spoke out against the measures to just-drinks today (25 June) and warned Turkey's authorities that, legally, it must notify the World Trade Organisation of its plans.
The Paris-headquartered group said it is "disappointed" that the legislation was "rushed through" without businesses being consulted. "We are ... not convinced that the recent legislation's heavy-handed approach will be effective to combat misuse," the statement added.
Pointing to World Health Organisation data suggesting countries with tight controls see more alcohol abuse, Pernod added: "There thus appears to be a reverse relation between the severity of government regulation and the level of abuse."
Despite the meausres being signed into law, just-drinks understands the restricitions are not yet being enforced in Turkey.
Pernod said it will look to "engage" with the country's authorities as the rules are introduced.
The group suggested Turkey will have to notify the WTO about the measures as part of its "international legal obligations".
Earlier today, Diageo said it is aiming to work with Turkey's authorities to ensure the measures are "workable".
The Future of the Spirits Market in Turkey to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Spirits consumption trends in Turkey, historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, brand share, alcoholic strength, price s...read more
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report