FRANCE: Pernod Ricard sells Nordic drinks assets
Disposals follow Pernod's acquisition of Absolut
Pernod Ricard has moved a step closer to its EUR1bn (US$1.36bn) asset disposals target by agreeing to sell several assets in Sweden and Denmark, including drinks brands, to Altia.
Pernod said today (15 February) that it will sell the assets for a combined EUR82m (US$112m) in cash.
They include local wine and spirits brands, such as Explorer vodka, Lord Calvert whisky, 1 Enkelt bitter, Blossa glögg and Chill Out wines. A bottling facility located in Svendborg, Denmark, and two logistic centres located in Odense, Denmark and Årsta, Sweden, are also part of the sale.
Pernod has agreed long-term production, bottling and logistic services agreements with Altia, it added.
"This transaction brings Pernod Ricard closer to the achievement of its €1bn disposal plan," said the France-based group, owner of Absolut vodka.
Pernod has reached EUR0.8bn in disposals under the plan, which was announced 18 months ago after the group bought Absolut owner Vin & Sprit for EUR5.3bn.
Swedish newspapers flagged up a possible deal with Altia in September 2009.
Altia said today that the deal will make it the leading player in the Nordic alcoholic beverage business.
"The acquired brands have a strong heritage and market position and thus this acquisition is a natural next step in our strategy aiming at expanding our market presence in our home market, the Nordic countries and the Baltic region," said Altia CEO Antti Pankakoski.
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends