FRANCE: Pernod Ricard sells Nordic drinks assets
Disposals follow Pernod's acquisition of Absolut
Pernod Ricard has moved a step closer to its EUR1bn (US$1.36bn) asset disposals target by agreeing to sell several assets in Sweden and Denmark, including drinks brands, to Altia.
Pernod said today (15 February) that it will sell the assets for a combined EUR82m (US$112m) in cash.
They include local wine and spirits brands, such as Explorer vodka, Lord Calvert whisky, 1 Enkelt bitter, Blossa glögg and Chill Out wines. A bottling facility located in Svendborg, Denmark, and two logistic centres located in Odense, Denmark and Årsta, Sweden, are also part of the sale.
Pernod has agreed long-term production, bottling and logistic services agreements with Altia, it added.
"This transaction brings Pernod Ricard closer to the achievement of its €1bn disposal plan," said the France-based group, owner of Absolut vodka.
Pernod has reached EUR0.8bn in disposals under the plan, which was announced 18 months ago after the group bought Absolut owner Vin & Sprit for EUR5.3bn.
Swedish newspapers flagged up a possible deal with Altia in September 2009.
Altia said today that the deal will make it the leading player in the Nordic alcoholic beverage business.
"The acquired brands have a strong heritage and market position and thus this acquisition is a natural next step in our strategy aiming at expanding our market presence in our home market, the Nordic countries and the Baltic region," said Altia CEO Antti Pankakoski.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends