FRANCE: Pernod Ricard Q3 sales fall, launches EUR1bn rights issue
Pernod said today (15 April) that like-for-like sales for the three months to the end of March fell by 12% to EUR1.345bn (US$1.8bn). Net sales, including the acquisition of Vin & Sprit, the owner of Absolut vodka, fell by 2% for the quarter.
The third quarter slip means that like-for-like sales for the first nine months of Pernod's fiscal year rose by just 0.3%. Reported net sales for the period rose by 9% to EUR5.56bn.
The French wine and spirits giant, owner of brands such as Jameson whiskey and Martell Cognac, said that it has been affected in the third quarter by "significant de-stocking from wholesalers and distributors", as well as a slowdown in Eastern Europe and falling sales in the on-trade in mature markets.
Last week, Pernod lowered its full-year guidance for organic operating profits growth, to a target of between 3% and 5%, down from the previous forecast of between 5% and 8%.
Separately, Pernod also announced the launch of a EUR1bn rights issue, intended to raise capital in order for the company to pay down debt, largely accrued as a result of its EUR5.3bn purchase of Sweden's Vin & Sprit last year.
Pernod said it would launch the issue tomorrow (16 April). The rights issue is set to create 38.8m new shares, representing three new shares for 17 existing shares, at a price of EUR26.70 each. The new shares will be included in the 2008/09 dividend payout and will be listed as of 14 May.
The news this week that Suntory has launched a binding offer to acquire Orangina Schweppes is another sign of the growing international aspirations of Japan's drinks groups. Alongside the mooted merge...
Chivas Brothers, the Scotch whisky and gin business of Pernod Ricard, has promoted Simon Burley to the position of brand director for Beefeater and Plymouth Gin in the UK....
New Zealand Winegrowers has for the first time set a limit on the amount of wine grapes to be harvested, as the trade body attempts to prevent oversupply from cheapening the country's wines on interna...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has launched a new campaign for its Campo Viejo wine brand in the UK, adding weight to company claims that the Spanish wine brand is not for sale....
Pernod Ricard Travel Retail is to launch its limited edition vodka Absolut Rock in UK airports....
Pernod Ricard's GH Mumm Champagne is to be the official partner and sponsor of an event for the London Restaurant Festival next month....
Pernod Ricard has transferred production of Italian wine brand Canei to the grower's association in the the region....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research