FRANCE: Pernod Ricard promotes Alex Ricard in exec shuffle
Alex Ricard to leave Irish Distilleres for global distribution MD role
Ricard, 39, is the nephew of Pernod Ricard's chairman, Patrick Ricard, and has been tipped for greatness at the French drinks giant. Late yesterday (7 July), Pernod announced that Alex Ricard will move to its Paris HQ to become MD of its global distribution network. He will also take a seat on the group's executive board.
The move, which will take effect on 1 September, is part of a executive reshuffle across the Pernod Ricard business.
Since 2008, Alex Ricard has been CEO and chairman of Irish Distillers, presiding over a period of strong growth for the group's Jameson whiskey brand. Jameson's net sales increased by 22% for the first nine months of Pernod's current fiscal year, to the end of March.
In Paris, Ricard will take the distribution reins from group CEO Pierre Pringuet, who added the post to his responsibilities 12 months ago, following the departure of Michel Bord. Pernod Ricard's divisions in the Americas, Europe and Asia, as well as the Ricard and Pernod pastis businesses and the Pernod Ricard commercial development division, will report into Alex Ricard.
Anna Malmhake, currently MD of the Absolut Co, will replace Ricard at Irish Distillers. She will report to Pernod Ricard's director of brands, Thierry Billot.
Separately, Pernod announced that it has created the new role of MD for its Business Innovation Group, to be filled by Alain Dufosse, currently the MD of Pernod Ricard Germany and Austria. Dufosse will be replaced by David Haworth, who is MD of the group in Turkey and Greece.
Meanwhile, Noël Adrian has left his post at MD of Pernod Ricard Italy to become the group's deputy MD for Europe, reporting to Europe CEO and chairman Laurent Lacassagne. He took up the role on 1 July and will be replaced in Italy by the group's MD for the Nordic region, Michel Mauran.
From 1 October, Pernod's MD for Japan, Fabrice Audan, will take up Mauran's Nordic MD role.
Elsewhere in the business, Christophe Lemarie, the current group MD for travel retail in the Americas, will take over from David Haworth in Greece and Turkey. Lemarie will be replaced by Franck Lapeyre, who is MD of Pernod Ricard Korea.
Pernod Ricard's MD for the UK, Jean-Manuel Spriet, will become MD of Pernod Ricard Korea. He will be replacd by David de Mardt, currently MD of the Pernod Ricard South Africa. In turn, de Mardt will be succeeded by Irish Distillers' current commercial director, Conor McQuaid, with effect from 1 August.
Last but not least, Laurent Pillet, the current MD of Pernod Ricard Andes will become MD of Pernod Ricard Sub-Saharan Africa. He will be replaced by Benjamin Halb, currently finance director of Pernod Ricard in Greece and Turkey.
Unless otherwise stated, all changes take effect from 1 September.
The final part of just-drinks' December management briefing, looking back over the past 12 months, reviews what 2011 meant for the global wine industry. Ben Cooper reports....
Ten years on and the legacy of Pernod Ricard and Diageo's carve-up of Seagram is still being felt....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts