AMERICAS: Pernod Ricard positive over premium spirits growth in Brazil
Pernod is eyeing the on-going opportunity in Brazil
In an investors' conference call yesterday (13 December), the group's Americas chairman & CEO, Philippe Dreano, said that the country's spirits category is projected to grow at 3.8% per year by volume “over the coming years”. He also noted that 60% of the population is under 34-years-old.
“All indicators are pointing in the right direction, with a declining inflation and unemployment rate,” Dreano told analysts. “The demographics also work well for us.”
Innovation had been a “key driver” for brands in the region, Dreano said, pointing to 'Absolut Unique – End of Year Edition' and new flavours of its Orloff Bold brand.
In the US, Dreano noted that the on-trade is experiencing a faster rebound than the off-trade, with sales up 7.3% in value, since Summer 2009. “This is even better news for Pernod, as our porfolio is more skewed to the on-trade than the industry average,” he said.
Dreano said the company has seen a good response to price increases in the country, with Jameson in particular reporting a 28.6% rise in value terms in the second calendar half of this year.
In Mexico, Pernod has re-shaped its brand portfolio and sales force after a structural review. The new strategy is giving positive results, Dreano said, with Absolut and Chivas Regal both seeing growth.
Concluding, Dreano said the company is “more focussed than ever on driving value growth” for its its brands.
In October, the group reported that group Q1 net sales rose by 5% to EUR2.2bn (US$2.86bn) in the three months to the end of September.
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report