UK: Pernod Ricard looks to build new Scotch distillery "at some stage"
Pernod Ricard spent GBP10m updating its Glenlivet distillery
Back in May, the wine and spirits giant committed an annual spend of GBP40m (US$62.2m) to upping its distillation capacity and production facilities in Scotland. The announcement followed the completion of a GBP10m expansion of its Glenlivet facility two years ago.
Speaking to media at a briefing in London earlier today (4 September), the CEO of Pernod's Chivas Brothers Scotch and gin unit, Christian Porta, said that the division is mulling the construction of a new facility in the country.
“We have been increasing the capacity at a lot of our distilleries,” Porta said. “That is a programme that is now coming to an end.
“Clearly, the next stage for us - and we are starting to think about it - is to look to build a new distillery from scratch. The key factor is future sales: We look at what we are going to sell and where we are going to sell it.”
Although Porta said that such a move could take place “at some stage in the future”, he declined to be drawn further on a more specific time scale.
Porta was talking at a press conference held to discuss Pernod's FY results, released last week.
What do Bacardi, Diageo and Pernod Ricard have in common? Aside from the obvious, Ian Buxton proffers that they share the same problem when it comes to Bourbon, and that's their lack of it....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014