US: Pernod Ricard faces trademark clash over wine firm's 'Jamieson' brand
Pernod's Irish Distillers is facing a legal showdown over the trademark dispute
Pernod Ricard and a US wine producer have declined to comment on reports of a trademark battle between the two over the name ‘Jamieson’.
The case stems from a cease-and-desist letter that Pernod’s Irish Distillers unit sent to Madison Vineyard Holdings last week over its ‘Jamieson Ranch Vineyards’ brand, produced at a Napa Valley estate of the same name. The Pernod subsidiary, which handles Jameson Irish Whiskey, claims that the wine brand could cause consumer confusion and make it appear that ‘Jamieson’ is an Irish Distillers-endorsed product, the website Law360 reported this week.
However, the wine group has hit back by launching a lawsuit over the cease-and-desist action. Madison denies Irish Distillers' claims and is seeking a “declaratory judgment” that its Jamieson operations and marketing do not infringe Irish Distillers’ copyright, Law360 reported.
Jamieson Ranch Vineyards began operations last June and started selling wine in September, according to court documents, cited by the website.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a Pernod Ricard spokesperson said: “We have no comment on this pending litigation.”
A spokesperson for Jamieson Ranch Vineyards also told just-drinks it has “no comment at this time”.
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US