US: Pernod Ricard faces trademark clash over wine firm's 'Jamieson' brand
Pernod's Irish Distillers is facing a legal showdown over the trademark dispute
Pernod Ricard and a US wine producer have declined to comment on reports of a trademark battle between the two over the name ‘Jamieson’.
The case stems from a cease-and-desist letter that Pernod’s Irish Distillers unit sent to Madison Vineyard Holdings last week over its ‘Jamieson Ranch Vineyards’ brand, produced at a Napa Valley estate of the same name. The Pernod subsidiary, which handles Jameson Irish Whiskey, claims that the wine brand could cause consumer confusion and make it appear that ‘Jamieson’ is an Irish Distillers-endorsed product, the website Law360 reported this week.
However, the wine group has hit back by launching a lawsuit over the cease-and-desist action. Madison denies Irish Distillers' claims and is seeking a “declaratory judgment” that its Jamieson operations and marketing do not infringe Irish Distillers’ copyright, Law360 reported.
Jamieson Ranch Vineyards began operations last June and started selling wine in September, according to court documents, cited by the website.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a Pernod Ricard spokesperson said: “We have no comment on this pending litigation.”
A spokesperson for Jamieson Ranch Vineyards also told just-drinks it has “no comment at this time”.
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014