FRANCE: Pernod Ricard eyes US expansion
Speaking to just-drinks today (1 October) the company said that it would like to strengthen its position since it currently stands at number four in the US, compared to its position as number two in other countries.
A spokesperson for Pernod said: "There is no deadline or target as yet, and we have not decided on particular brands, but we would like to do better."
The news followed Pernod's managing director Pierre Pringuet telling reporters last week that the company would like to own another wine, Tequila or rum brands to bolster its US status.
Pringuet reportedly said: "It's not that we feel we are weak in the US. But if you compare it to where we are in the rest of the world, I would rather be in that 20% (range) where we are worldwide. Anything that could strengthen our position in the US would be welcome. A good brand from California could very well fit into our portfolio."
Pernod recently calmed reports from Russia claiming that the SPI Group opened talks with other companies to buy the Stolichnaya vodka brand, after the deadline for discussions with Pernod Ricard to buy the brand passed.
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
The sale of the Swedish state-owned makers of Absolut Vodka, Vin & Sprit, is progressing "according to plan", as speculation mounts that a buyer will be named in the coming weeks....
Bacardi is the latest major drinks company thought to have teamed up with a local private equity firm, in its hopes to win the auction for Sweden's Vin & Sprit group....
Fortune Brands has refused to be drawn on speculation claiming the company has taken a partner in its bid to acquire Vin & Sprit....
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Pernod Ricard is updating and expanding its Jameson Irish Whiskey Reserve offering in the US with new packaging and the addition of two new products....
Champagne brand Mumm is rolling out its aluminium Travel Canister through the supermarket chains, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and the specialist drinks retailer, Threshers, from 1 April....
Pernod Ricard has updated the consumer website for its Kahlúa coffee liqueur in the US....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends