VENEZUELA: Pernod Ricard expands despite recession
By Owain Johnson
Venezuela's market for alcoholic beverages is set to contract between 10 and 15% in 2002, according to estimates by Pernod Ricard.
The projected decline relates to the oil-rich country's current economic slowdown and to falling exchange rate against the US dollar, which has made imports around 30% more expensive.
Pernod Ricard nonetheless remains optimistic that the Venezuelan alcoholic beverage market is essentially healthy, and the region's managing director Alfonso Alvarado said the company was convinced the long-term prospects for sales in Venezuela market remained positive, despite the current recession.
Pernod Ricard is planning to invest several million US dollars in further developing its market share in Venezuela through a series of publicity campaigns, promotions and tastings over the next few months.
In recent years the country has experienced significant growth in consumer demand for premium brands, and Venezuela currently has the highest per capita whisky consumption in the world.
Companies: Pernod Ricard
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Maxxium Worldwide could come under pressure if Pernod and Fortune's Allied Domecq bid is successful, according to press reports today (14 April)....
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends