FRANCE: Pernod Ricard closes Vin & Sprit purchase
Pernod, which today (24 July) also announced a 2.3% sales rise for the year to the end of June, said the European Commission had cleared the deal on 17 July. As part of the EC's clearance, Pernod will divest the V&S brands Grönstedts Cognac, Red Port, Star Gin, Dry Anis and Lubuski Gin, as well as its Serkova vodka brand. In addition, the distribution agreements for Stolichnaya vodka outside Russia and for Royal Canadian whisky in Sweden will come to an end.
Pernod has also indicated that it intends to pull V&S out of the Maxxium global distribution venture within two years.
The takeover gives Pernod the world's second largest premium vodka brand, Absolut, and enables it compete more strongly against Diageo on international vodka markets, the company said.
Current V&S chief executive Bengt Baron will leave the group at the end of October, while board chairman Anders Narvinger will remain. Pernod has subsequently set up two Sweden-based business units, The Absolut Company and Pernod Ricard Nordic in keeping with its decentralised management structure.
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Pernod Ricard's unexpected move for Absolut in March set the tone for a year in which Diageo eschewed any significant acquisitions in favour of joint deals with existing brand owners. Olly Wehring rev...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Pernod Ricard has announced that Eric Benoist, current marketing head for Martell Perrier-Jouet, will replace Martin Riley as marketing director as Chivas Brothers....
Pernod Ricard has appointed Martin Riley, head of marketing for its Chivas Brothers division, as the group's new vice president of global marketing....
Russian Standard has said that its vodka will be distributed in Greece by Amvyx, the spirits distributor that this week severed ties with Pernod Ricard brands, including Absolut....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends