FRANCE: Pernod Ricard closes Vin & Sprit purchase
Pernod, which today (24 July) also announced a 2.3% sales rise for the year to the end of June, said the European Commission had cleared the deal on 17 July. As part of the EC's clearance, Pernod will divest the V&S brands Grönstedts Cognac, Red Port, Star Gin, Dry Anis and Lubuski Gin, as well as its Serkova vodka brand. In addition, the distribution agreements for Stolichnaya vodka outside Russia and for Royal Canadian whisky in Sweden will come to an end.
Pernod has also indicated that it intends to pull V&S out of the Maxxium global distribution venture within two years.
The takeover gives Pernod the world's second largest premium vodka brand, Absolut, and enables it compete more strongly against Diageo on international vodka markets, the company said.
Current V&S chief executive Bengt Baron will leave the group at the end of October, while board chairman Anders Narvinger will remain. Pernod has subsequently set up two Sweden-based business units, The Absolut Company and Pernod Ricard Nordic in keeping with its decentralised management structure.
January may be the time to look forward to the coming year but few in the drinks industry will be eyeing the coming year with relish. However, given the pessimistic tone of virtually every market and ...
Pernod Ricard's unexpected move for Absolut in March set the tone for a year in which Diageo eschewed any significant acquisitions in favour of joint deals with existing brand owners. Olly Wehring rev...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Sweden-based distributor Nigab is to handle Foster's wine brands in the Nordic duty-free and travel retail sectors....
Nick Blair, wine director for Pernod Ricard in the UK, is to be the new chairman of the London International Wine Fair and its sister show, Distil....
Pernod Ricard has announced that Eric Benoist, current marketing head for Martell Perrier-Jouet, will replace Martin Riley as marketing director as Chivas Brothers....
Pernod Ricard has appointed Martin Riley, head of marketing for its Chivas Brothers division, as the group's new vice president of global marketing....
Russian Standard has said that its vodka will be distributed in Greece by Amvyx, the spirits distributor that this week severed ties with Pernod Ricard brands, including Absolut....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends