CUBA: Pernod Ricard, Bacardi Havana Club row rumbles on
The France-based company, which handles the sales, distribution and marketing of Havana Club, is the subject of an ownership claim by Bacardi for the Havana Club trademark in the US, dating back to 1995.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks in Cuba yesterday (25 February), Marc Beuve-Méry, managing director of Havana Club International, said there was "absolutely nothing new" to say about the ongoing dispute.
"The judge (in the US) is collecting data," Beuve-Méry, said. "It's a lengthy process because if someone brings some additional data, and the opposite party says that the data is irrelevant, then the judge has to say whether it's relevant or not. We're in that game."
When asked if there was a timescale in place for a decision, Beuve-Méry said: "I cannot really tell you. We may have some news in 2009. We had a delay when we were expecting a decision last year. The year before, the judge was changed."
In 2005, Pernod won a legal case brought by Bacardi in Spain over the trademark. The case is now on appeal in front of the country's Supreme Court.
"In the US," Beuve-Méry said, "the process is taking longer and seems less easy to decide because it's a very political subject."
However, a Bacardi spokesperson said: "In 2006, the US Patent and Trademark office deemed Cuba's US registration of the Havana Club trademark 'cancelled/expired.' The cancellation of the Cuba's US trademark puts an end to any vestige Pernod Ricard and Cuba have to any rights in the US for the Havana Club trademark, unless Cuba is successful in overcoming this decision."
Pernod Ricard USA has today (11 August) launched its off-premise value added pack (VAP) line up for the company's core wine and spirit brands for the next season....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
New Zealand's top selling wine, Pernod Ricard-owned Montana, is chasing greater Australian market share with a $A1m advertising campaign....
In 1996, Hangzhou Wahaha Group Co, a leading beverage producer in China, began a joint venture with Danone Group to form five new subsidiaries....
Pernod Ricard's Olmeca Altos...
Bacardi has announced the appointment of a new regional manager in its global travel retail division....
Pernod Ricard has announced a change of international brand director for its Jameson Irish whiskey brand....
Pernod Ricard USA has released a limited edition Kahlúa coffee cream liqueur....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- CCE shows faith in Coca-Cola Life with full launch
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Gruppo Campari US unit head steps down
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018