UK: Pernod Ricard applies to build new Scotch distillery
Click through to view an artist's impression of Pernod Ricard's new Scotch whisky distillery
The company, which earlier this year committed to spending GBP40m (US$62.2m) per year on upping its Scotch capacity, said earlier today (18 October) that it has started the planning process to construct a facility in Speyside. While the plan is at its earliest stages, production could begin at the distillery, which will be built on the site of the silent Imperial Distillery, as soon as 2015, just-drinks understands.
As recently as last month, the head of Pernod's Chivas Brothers Scotch and premium gin division, Christian Porta, hinted that the company was looking at a new distillery to help satisfy demand for Scotch in emerging markets. “The next stage for us - and we are starting to think about it - is to look to build a new distillery from scratch,” Porta said in September. “The key factor is future sales: We look at what we are going to sell and where we are going to sell it.”
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Chivas declined to give specific investment figures for the distillery, as Pernod is in a quiet period ahead of next week's Q1 trading update. The capacity of the facility would be “subject to consultation” as part of the planning process, the spokesperson added. It will produce malt whisky destined for Chivas Brothers' blended whiskies, which includes Chivas Regal and Ballantine's.
The Imperial Distillery which has been inactive since 1998 and was acquired by Chivas Brothers in 2005, is located on the banks of the River Spey near Carron.
Last month, Chris Losh was one of the experts on just-drinks' 'state of the industry' webinar. While the webinar looked at the drinks industry as a whole, Chris thinks the results provide plenty of fo...
Over the last 10 years of rapid acquisitions, Pernod Ricard has built a strong portfolio of premium brands on a global scale. Most of its brands enjoy a leading position in international markets. The ...
This weekend marked the fifth anniversary of Pernod Ricard's acquisition of Vin & Sprit and the Absolut vodka brand. A lot has changed since those heady days of 2008, so how does the race for - and pu...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018