US: Pernod quits spirits trade body
The French company has this week written to The Century Council - an organisation of distillers which combats the negative effects of drinking alcohol - and said it will leave the body in a disagreement over sponsorship of motor sport events. Among the issues the council covers is that of drunk driving.
While the council backs its members' associations with motor sports, Pernod told the body: "We at Pernod Ricard firmly believe that it is inappropriate for the distilled spirits industry to engage in sponsorship of motor sports."
Speaking to just-drinks today (15 September), a spokesperson for Pernod clarified the matter. "Whilst we don't object to our competitors' sponsorship of ( a US motor racing event) NASCAR, we do object when their sponsorship involves the Century Council," the spokesperson said.
Among the nine members of the council, three of them - Diageo, Fortune Brands and Brown-Forman - sponsor NASCAR teams. At the same time, Diageo's Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky brand sponsors McLaren Mercedes' Formula 1 team.
Pernod's resignation will not take effect until November, and speculation suggests that the council is looking at a compromise solution for the problem. No-one at the council was available for comment when contacted by just-drinks today.
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) has had to postpone its plans to publish self-regulatory guidelines on drinks sponsorship because of a failure to find consensus on the subject. Ben ...
Whether marketed as non-alcoholic beers or soft drinks, malt-based beverages are expected to grow as a category in the coming years. While the products are finding increasing acceptance among Muslim c...
Bacardi is looking to take its bid for the Spanish rights to Havana Club rum to the country's Supreme Court....
Constellation Brands appears to have backed out of the race to buy Absolut vodka....
Pernod Ricard has reported a 20% leap in underlying first-half profits thanks to a strong performance from its spirits brands....
An appeals court in Spain has thrown out a bid from Bacardi to claim the local trademark rights to Havana Club rum....
US alcohol distributor Glazer's has appointed a president for its Texas operations....
The name of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix is at the centre of an emerging legal battle surrounding its use on a vodka brand....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends