RUSSIA: Pernod licence suspended in error
Kommersant International said today (9 August) that the licence had been suspended following a probe by the Moscow branch of the Federal Service on Consumer Rights Supervision (FSCRS) late last month.
The report claimed that the licence was withdrawn due to a "breach of sanitary laws".
Kommersant also suggested that Pernod's prominence in various spirits sectors in Russia had "prompted the bureaucrats to benefit from the import alcohol crisis and attempt to squeeze even such majors as Pernod".
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, Pernod said that the report was not true as a statement issued by the FSCRS had been released in error. "Everything is fine with our licence in Russia," a spokesperson for Pernod said.
The Russian spirits industry has been thrown into chaos of late, with a new system of tax stamps leading to empty shelves in stores. The Russian authorities struggled to release enough new stamps in time for a deadline it had set for old stamps to be ruled invalid.
In our first Just the Answer interview of 2007, Dean Best spoke with Nick Blacknell, brand director for Beefeater at Pernod Ricard subsidiary Chivas Brothers, about the company's ambitious re-launch o...
V&S Group has insisted it can do more to drive profits and boost the value of the business. The comments came after V&S chief executive Bengt Baron said the Swedish state-owned company is not yet "at ...
The Indian government has indicated to the EU that the country needs to reform its tariff regime on imported spirits and wine, just-drinks understands....
Rising earnings across its business have boosted annual profits at Sweden's V&S Group....
Pernod Ricard is launching a tri-varietal range of Jacob's Creek wines into the UK market....
The International Center for Alcohol Policies has appointed a chairman and vice-chairman....
Cooley Distillery saw profits rise 20% last year thanks to a buoyant Irish whiskey category and a successful US debut for its brand Michael Collins....
V&S Group is mulling whether to go to Sweden's Supreme Court in a bid to overturn a decision from the country's alcohol retail monopoly Systembolaget to de-list wines handled by the company....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review