US: Pernod introduces Beefeater 'sharp'ner' to the US
The subsidiary of the French drinks giant yesterday (1 October) unveiled its plans to introduce the British concept of the 'sharp'ner' to the US gin sector. The term is used by Londoners to describe a quick, social drink after work without the commitment of an entire evening out.
"In America, meeting a friend for 'a drink' can mean committing an entire evening," said Michelle Riley, brand director for Beefeater at Pernod Ricard USA. "Londoners have the right idea with the sharp'ner as it offers an occasion to meet up with a friend for one drink and very little obligation. We are confident this trend will catch on in America, where we're always looking to get the most out of our days, and hope that with less of a commitment, more people will actually connect with their friends."
As well as creating a range of what it calls Beefeater Sharpener cocktails, Pernod Ricard USA said it plans to lobby several dictionaries in the US to officially adopt the term. The unit said it hopes to ensure the use of 'sharp'ner' through "repeated mentions in a broad range of outlets over an extended period of time".
Earlier this month, Pernod launched a revamped version of the Beefeater website. Navigation of the site, to be found at www.beefeatergin.com, is based on a map of London, where different areas of the capital correspond with different elements of the brand, the company said in June.
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
The sale of the Swedish state-owned makers of Absolut Vodka, Vin & Sprit, is progressing "according to plan", as speculation mounts that a buyer will be named in the coming weeks....
Bacardi is the latest major drinks company thought to have teamed up with a local private equity firm, in its hopes to win the auction for Sweden's Vin & Sprit group....
Fortune Brands has refused to be drawn on speculation claiming the company has taken a partner in its bid to acquire Vin & Sprit....
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Pernod Ricard is updating and expanding its Jameson Irish Whiskey Reserve offering in the US with new packaging and the addition of two new products....
Champagne brand Mumm is rolling out its aluminium Travel Canister through the supermarket chains, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and the specialist drinks retailer, Threshers, from 1 April....
Pernod Ricard has updated the consumer website for its Kahlúa coffee liqueur in the US....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014