UK: Pernod enjoys happy Christmas in UK off-trade
The UK arm of the French drinks giant said late last week that it had bucked the trend in the country's spirits category over the key selling period.
Citing figures from AC Nielsen, Pernod noted that, in the eight weeks to 30 December, many of its core spirits brands performed well, despite a 1% slide in spirits sales in terms of value and a 4% dip in volumes over the two-month period.
In value terms, UK off-trade sales of Martell Cognac were up 19%. Over the same period, the Cognac category in the UK grew by only 2%, Pernod said. Other notable performers included Stolichnaya vodka - up 91% year-on-year, in a vodka category growing by 4% - and The Glenlivet single malt - up 107%, in a malt whisky category up 3%.
"We talked with our retail partners about driving the four high-value spirits categories: Cognac, malt whisky, imported whiskey and non-cream liqueurs for Christmas 2006 and we're pleased to see that played out in our great performance, in what was a tough market," said Simon Thomas, commercial director at Pernod Ricard UK.
"We also encouraged retailers to drive profit by featuring more premium brands in categories like vodka and rum, to allow customers to trade up," Thomas added. The performances of Havana Club (up 289%) and of Stolichnaya are testament to the success of this strategy."
Pernod declined to divulge actual UK sales figures for each of its spirits brands over Christmas.
Coinciding with the publication of Diageo’s first-half results, this month’s just-drinks interview is with Andrew Morgan, president of Diageo’s European operations. Morgan took the opportunity to expl...
It is the results season, so attention is focused on the major public drinks corporations as they give their shareholders the good or bad news. But Patience Gould believes that in an industry where ta...
Pernod Ricard's annual results briefing last week suggested the company has consigned the Allied Domecq deal to history. No more talk of bedding down and integration. The emphasis was firmly on the fu...
Cooley Distillery has posted a healthy rise in sales and profits for 2006, but has warned that 2007 will be "a harder year". At the same time, the company's head issued a 'come-and-join-me' to a large...
The chief of Pernod Ricard's Stolichnaya partner is the subject of an arrest warrant in his native Russia....
Liquor auctions have been legalised in New York....
Bodegas Domecq has teamed up with Emporia Brands to take responsibility for sales of their full range of Sherries to both the UK on-trade and off-trade....
Pernod Ricard has unveiled an addition to its Hiram Walker brand in the US....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research