FRANCE: Pernod counters latest Russian Standard outburst
The Russian firm, owned by billionaire Roustam Tariko, yesterday (11 June) unveiled an advertising campaign in the US which aims to "distinguish the vodka from other brands sold in the US market that only claim Russian authenticity", the company said. "This campaign also calls into question the integrity of a recently-launched marketing campaign by Stolichnaya entitled 'Choose Authenticity', in which Stolichnaya claims to be authentically Russian."
"This campaign draws a line between brands that are truly Russian and those that are not," said Tariko. "American consumers want the real thing, and that's exactly what we are."
When contacted by just-drinks, however, Pernod countered the attack. "Stolichnaya is distilled in Russia and is genuine Russian vodka," a spokesperson for the French company said.
In April last year, Tariko unleashed his first attack on Stolichnaya, following this with a lawsuit - alleging "false advertising" - in the US in October.
The Pernod spokesperson highlighted a statement issued in April last year, in which Pernod claimed Stolichnaya is "truly Russian, being distilled and produced 500kms south-east of Moscow, using Russian grain and water". Once distilled, the vodka is then shipped in bulk and bottled in Latvia.
"We wish Mr Tariko well in his commercial endeavours," the spokesperson concluded. "A bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone."
Rising raw material costs have been a feature of numerous companies' results over the past few months. As Jessica Harvey writes, some companies have been able to bolster themselves against this trend ...
Constellation's US$885m purchase of Fortune Brands' wine portfolio further adds to the acquisitive US company's impressive line-up. Chris Losh believes the deal makes perfect sense for Constellation, ...
Maxxium Worldwide has unveiled a new on-trade serving suggestion for its core range of spirits....
The European Spirits Organisation - CEPS has elected a new president for the next two years....
Pernod Ricard is set to launch a limited edition Martell VSOP Cognac into travel retail in Singapore to support the beginning of a five-year partnership with the Royal Palace of Versailles in France....
Pernod Ricard has lined up an international advertising campaign for its Tia Maria liqueur brand....
Sula Selections, the import arm of Sula Vineyards, has launched Asahi Super Dry beer in the Indian market....
The European Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development has warned the region's vodka producers that there will be "no nit-picking" over pending definition laws....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research