UK: Pernod chases Bacardi figures – report
Pernod Ricard is pushing the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to release more info about one of its competitors, according to press reports. The Evening Standard said on Monday (13 June) that the drinks company is using the Freedom of Information Act to try and make the OFT release commercially sensitive data about Bacardi.
Havana Club, a joint-owned subsidiary of Pernod and Cuba's, has lodged an 11-page letter of complaint with the Information Commissioner against the OFT for refusing its request to see all internal communications of a two-and-a-half year probe into the business practices of Bacardi, the paper reported.
In 2002, the OFT issued a heavily edited notice, setting out its case that Bacardi had been abusing its dominant position in the British white rum market, the Standard said.
The OFT has refused Pernod's request and has only provided documents in which potentially commercially sensitive details have been deleted, the paper said. "It says it considers itself protected by legislation in the 2002 Enterprise Act criminalising the disclosure of confidential business data," the report continued.
Pernod's claim will now test whether the Freedom of Information act takes precedent. The Information Commissioner is considering both positions and a decision is imminent, the report concluded.
No-one at Pernod was available for comment when contacted by just-drinks.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
It's been a quiet day on the Pernod/Allied Domecq front....
Conflicting reports circulated this weekend over whether Bacardi International is looking to form a counter-bid for Allied Domecq....
Todays press reports into Pernod and Fortune's hopes to buy Allied Domecq warn of possible conflicts and set a date for completion....
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are considering a US$13 billion bid for Allied Domecq, the world's second-largest spirits company. Were it to take place, Pernod and Fortune would split Allied's brand...
Pernod Ricard and Fortune Brands are hoping to buy Allied Domecq for around 670p per share, according to press reports....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets