FRANCE: Pernod calms Stolichnaya deadline claims
Reports from Russia have claimed that the SPI Group has opened talks with other companies to buy the Stolichnaya vodka brand, after the deadline for discussions with Pernod Ricard to buy the brand has passed.
Pernod has moved to calm the reports, however, maintaining today that "negotiations continue as before".
Russian news service Kommersant International reported yesterday (24 September) that an "established deadline" for talks between the two companies has passed, with no conclusive agreement reached. SPI Group president, Andrey Skurikhin, was cited in the report as saying that the group is now negotiating with other companies, both Russian and international, although he declined to name specific companies.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Pernod highlighted the company's statement from 2005, which said: "Pernod Ricard has an exclusivity period to discuss with SPI a possible acquisition of the brand or other possible long-term partnerships." The spokesperson declined to give a date for the end of this exclusivity period.
Pernod and SPI began discussions about the French company buying the Stolichnaya brand in September 2005. Pernod handles the distribution of Stolichnaya outside of Russia.
State-owned Soyuzplodoimport has been fighting to regain control of Stolichnaya's global rights since it sold the brand to SPI for US$300,000 in 1997.
Geographic appellations have existed in the wine world for centuries. In the spirits sector, however, the appellation has been much more sparingly used. But geographical definition is at the core of S...
The deadline for the second round of bids for Vin & Sprit (V&S) has been set....
Pernod Ricard is updating and expanding its Jameson Irish Whiskey Reserve offering in the US with new packaging and the addition of two new products....
Champagne brand Mumm is rolling out its aluminium Travel Canister through the supermarket chains, Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and the specialist drinks retailer, Threshers, from 1 April....
Pernod Ricard has updated the consumer website for its Kahlúa coffee liqueur in the US....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed a change of senior brand manager for Champagne Perrier-Jouët in the UK....
Pernod Ricard is bringing the 'Forever London' advertising campaign for its Beefeater gin brand to the streets of the capital....
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research