FRANCE: Pernod calms Soyuzplodoimport conclusion talk
In May, Pernod and the Russian state-owned company opened discussions to settle their dispute.
Soyuzplodoimport owns the Stolichnaya, Moskovskaya and other vodka brands in Russia, while Pernod and Yury Shefler, a major shareholder of Swiss company SPI (also known, confusingly, as Soyuzplodimport), own the rights to distribute the Stolichnaya brand in countries outside Russia. Soyuzplodoimport has been in dispute with SPI on the matter since 2002.
In 2003, the World Intellectual Property Organisation ruled that the Stolichnaya brand, as well as some other famous brands, should belong to Soyuzplodoimport, and not to SPI.
Soyuzplodoimport sold its rights to the brands to SPI in 1997. The vodka trademarks were sold for US$300,000 at the time. The market price for just two brands, Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya, was then estimated at US$400m.
French magazine Challenges this week described the discussions as "advanced".
When contacted by just-drinks today (17 November), a spokesperson for Pernod dismissed the report. "There is nothing new to add to our statement released in May," the spokesperson said.
The two sides signed a confidentiality agreement in May, meaning that no announcements will be made until negotiations are concluded.
A survey in Sweden has found that the majority of people would be interested in buying shares in V&S Group....
Castle Brands has closed its private placement and raised US$21m....
Diageo's vodka brand Smirnoff has held the top spot in this year's 'Power 100' league of drinks brands. The 2007 chart of the most powerful drinks brands, compiled by brand valuation consultancy Intan...
The thriving Polish economy helped drive sales growth at Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) in the first quarter, with net sales for the period leaping 20% to US$228m from the $190m repo...
Pernod Ricard is switching distribution for its Seagram's Coolers in the US....
Bacardi USA has signed a lease for a new headquarters currently in construction in Florida....
Pernod Ricard has recorded a lift in Q3 sales, thanks in part to a strong performance during the Chinese New Year....
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research