FRANCE: Pernod again quells Stolichnaya talk
In May, Pernod and the Russian state-owned company opened discussions to settle their dispute.
Soyuzplodoimport owns the Stolichnaya, Moskovskaya and other vodka brands in Russia. Pernod and Yury Shefler, a major shareholder of SPI Group (also known, confusingly, as Soyuzplodimport), own the rights to distribute the Stolichnaya brand in countries outside Russia. Pernod joined forces with SPI after the Allied Domecq takeover last year.
Soyuzplodoimport has been in dispute with SPI over the rights to Stolichnaya since 2002.
In 2003, the World Intellectual Property Organisation ruled that the Stolichnaya brand, as well as some other famous brands, should belong to Soyuzplodoimport, and not to SPI.
Soyuzplodoimport sold its rights to the brands to SPI in 1997. The vodka trademarks were sold for US$300,000 at the time. The market price for just two brands, Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya, was then estimated at US$400m.
Citing the head of Pernod's US division yesterday (11 December), reports claimed that Pernod may acquire the vodka brand as soon as "a few weeks" from now.
When contacted by just-drinks today, however, a spokesperson for Pernod dismissed the report. "There is nothing new to add to our statement released in May," the spokesperson said.
Pernod and Soyuzplodoimport signed a confidentiality agreement in May, meaning that no announcements will be made until negotiations are concluded.
There has rarely been dull moment in recent years for anyone concerned with Stolichnaya, with a long-running rights dispute over the brand name, a switch to bottling the brand outside Russia and the t...
The C&C Group may have its cider brand Magners to thank for its recent success, but Brian Walsh, managing director of the Irish company's spirits arm C&C International, believes the group's spirits po...
Soyuz-Victan USA has appointed Georgia Crown Distributing Co. and Alabama Crown Distributing as distributors for its Silk Vodka in Georgia and Alabama....
William Grant & Sons has lined up an advertising push for its Reyka vodka brand....
Central European Distribution Corporation has lined up a distribution agreement in Poland....
Fortune Brands appears to be upping its profile in the impending race to acquire Sweden's Vin & Sprit....
Pernod Ricard plans to launch new packaging and advertising in the UK to promote a more premium image for its Malibu brand....
Bacardi has launched Eristoff vodka in India and plans further investment in the country, according to local reports....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends