GLOBAL: PepsiCo urges firms to "work together" on obesity fight
PepsiCo wants a collaborative approach
The beverage and snacks maker said private companies need to join with public bodies to tackle health issues caused by high-calorie diets. “Solutions require a comprehensive, collaborative approach that unites the public and private sectors,” the group's chief scientific officer, Mehmood Khan, said in a blog post yesterday (30 May).
“Working together, we can continue to achieve meaningful results.”
PepsiCo said that half of its beverages now sold in the US are low- or no-calorie soft drinks, hydration beverages or juices.
In January, Coca-Cola launched an anti-obesity advert and admitted it has an “important role” to play in the fight against the health issue.
Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent also said he wants to use his company's marketing might to drive home anti-obesity education, while this month he pledged to stop advertising to under-12s, offer low- or no-calorie beverage options and support physical activity programmes in all of its markets.
PepsiCo said yesterday it will continue to install global policies that restrict marketing to children, remove full-sugar beverages from schools, and provide clear nutrition labelling.
Returning from Mexico, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor shares his thoughts on what plastic packaging has to offer, going forward....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts