US: PepsiCo unit hit for false advertising
South Beach Beverage Co. has been fined for false advertising. The US beverage company paid a US$219,000 penalty and reimbursement for legal expense to settle the dispute, according to Connecticut state officials.
The company falsely advertised and packaged its products as protection against colds and other illnesses and to increase energy levels, said state Attorney General Richard Blumenthal and Edwin Rodriguez, commissioner of the Department of Consumer Protection in a statement.
"Duping customers into believing that a flavoured beverage will stop illness, enhance memory or reduce stress is deceptive and deplorable," Blumenthal said.
South Beach Beverage Co., or SoBe, is an operating unit of Pepsi-Cola North America, which is part of PepsiCo. A company spokeswoman called the statement, "old news."
"SoBe co-operated with the Connecticut Attorney General's Office from the very beginning of this issue and worked to resolve it in a timely manner," spokeswoman Kristine Hinck said. "These messages have not been on SoBe bottles for at least two years."
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
PepsiCo's president and CFO, Indra Nooyi, has been forced to apologise for remarks she made whilst speaking to the 2005 graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City last ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- Is sustainability now as important as financials?
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts