US: PepsiCo toasts flying start to 2007
PepsiCo has posted an impressive lift in earnings for the first quarter of this year.
The soft drinks giant was today (25 April) celebrating a 17% increase in earnings to US$1.1bn, or $0.65 per share, thanks to "broad-based" volume gains, expanding operating margins and balanced growth across developed and emerging markets.
While PepsiCo Beverages North America saw volumes rise by only 1%, CSDs in the region slid by 3% while non-carbonated volumes held up the tail. Aquafina, Propel and SoBe waters produced double-digit growth, as did the Lipton RTD tea brand. Tropicana Pure Premium orange juice experienced an expected mid-teens volume decline resulting from a significant price increase.
In the international arena, double-digit volume growth in Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Brazil offset single-digit declines in Mexico and Thailand. While Latin America produced 8% volume growth, Europe, Middle East and Africa brought in 9%, with Asia Pacific producing 6%.
"We're pleased with our performance for the first quarter of 2007," said PepsiCo chairman elect and CEO Indra Nooyi. "The business portfolio performed exceedingly well, with each of our operating divisions showing strong results."
The company reaffirmed its full-year earnings guidance of at least $3.30 per share.
Gatorade has entered into a licensing deal with golf superstar Tiger Woods to develop "Tiger-inspired" sports performance beverages for athletes at all levels....
Weight management drinks have grown 24% to 570m litres in 2006 across Western Europe, the US and Japan....
PepsiCo has reported a lift in both operating profit and sales for its third quarter....
Reed's has beefed up its management team with the appointment of a new CFO....
Pepsi Bottling Group has posted a rise in both sales and operating income for its third quarter....
Starbucks and PepsiCo have unveiled plans to expand their relationship beyond North America and into China....
Quilmes Industrial has finally submitted its delayed 20-F form for 2006....
PepsiCo and Unilever have announced a major expansion of their Lipton RTD tea business joint venture....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020