US: PepsiCo to remove controversial oil from Gatorade
PepsiCo also uses the oil in its Mountain Dew brands
PepsiCo is to change its formula for Gatorade in the wake of health concerns over one of the product's ingredients.
Brominated vegetable oil is used in beverages to distribute flavour evenly though the drink. It is not banned by the FDA.
The Coca-Cola Co, which uses the oil in its Powerade brands, did not immediately respond to enquiries from just-drinks.
PepsiCo said it has no plans to remove the ingredient from its Mountain Dew and Diet Mountain Dew brands. The new formula, which replaces the oil with sucrose acetate isobutyrate, will be on shelves "in the next few months", the spokesperson said, adding that there will be no change to the product's flavour.
According to the New York Times, brominated vegetable oil has possible side-effects including neurological disorders and altered thyroid hormones.
Last month, PepsiCo announced it was changing the formula of its Diet Pepsi brand in the US. The company said the sweetener rejig would not affect flavour.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Anheuser-Busch InBev appoints new AmBev CEO
- Quintessential Brands changes MD at Essential unit