US: PepsiCo to remove controversial oil from Gatorade
PepsiCo also uses the oil in its Mountain Dew brands
PepsiCo is to change its formula for Gatorade in the wake of health concerns over one of the product's ingredients.
Brominated vegetable oil is used in beverages to distribute flavour evenly though the drink. It is not banned by the FDA.
The Coca-Cola Co, which uses the oil in its Powerade brands, did not immediately respond to enquiries from just-drinks.
PepsiCo said it has no plans to remove the ingredient from its Mountain Dew and Diet Mountain Dew brands. The new formula, which replaces the oil with sucrose acetate isobutyrate, will be on shelves "in the next few months", the spokesperson said, adding that there will be no change to the product's flavour.
According to the New York Times, brominated vegetable oil has possible side-effects including neurological disorders and altered thyroid hormones.
Last month, PepsiCo announced it was changing the formula of its Diet Pepsi brand in the US. The company said the sweetener rejig would not affect flavour.
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends