RUSSIA: Pepsico targets X5 Retail Group in kvass patent claim
PepsiCo has launched a patent claim in Russia over its Russkiy Dar kvass brand.
The company filed an objection to the Russian Chamber of Patent Disputes last week, claiming that X5 Retail Group’s recently-registered Russkiy Kvass brand carries too many similarities to Russkiy Dar's label design and marketing. Both companies source their products from Russia's OAO Deka, a kvass producer that started making PepsiCo’s Russian Dar in 2010 and X5’s version in May 2012.
According to Deka, PepsiCo's Russkiy Dar currently holds 12.7 % of the domestic kvass market, which is dominated by Ochakovo (24.3%) and Nikola (17.9%).
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for X5 declined to comment.
A hearing for the PepsiCo objection is scheduled for the end of this month.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read analyses on just-drinks in 2014....
PepsiCo is present in both HW beverages and HW packaged food. It remains overly reliant on the sluggish HW carbonates category however, where consumers in the mature markets are becoming increasingly ...
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Why has Heineken made a Formula 1 U-turn?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview