CHINA: PepsiCo swoops to take Burger King from Coca-Cola Co
It is PepsiCo's first partnership with Burger King in China
The deal will boost growth in a country expected to be the world's largest food and beverage market by 2015, PepsiCo said on Wednesday (9 January). Burger King's 100 or so stores across China started serving PepsiCo's portfolio earlier this month, the group said.
Coca-Cola previously supplied beverages for Burger King in China, according to the Wall Street Journal.
PepsiCo has a long relationship with Burger King in other markets, such as the US, Latin America, Russia, and Turkey, but this is the first time the two companies have partnered in China. Pepsi Beverage Business, PepsiCo's Chinese bottler, is the named supplier in the deal.
PepsiCo and Burger King said they will launch a joint promotion in the run up to the Chinese New Year. Burger King also said it plans to extend the number of its restaurants in China over the next five years.
It is not the first time PepsiCo has pushed its rival out of a restaurant. In May, it signed a deal with two US restaurants to end a shared provision with Coca-Cola.
The drinks sector is particularly fertile ground for mergers and acquisition activity, with a number of big businesses accustomed to making acquisitions to spur growth, new players popping up all over...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts