US: PepsiCo sues Coca-Cola Co over Powerade advert
The trademark lawsuit, filed by PepsiCo's Stokely-Van Camp unit, seeks to block an advertisement claiming that Powerade ION4 is "superior" to Gatorade.
The advert claims that Powerade ION4 is "the complete sports drink", while also claiming that Gatorade is "missing two electrolytes" and is "incomplete."
The lawsuit accuses Coca-Cola of "false advertising, trademark dilution, deceptive acts and practices, injury to business reputation and unfair competition" under the US trademark law known as the Lanham Act.
A spokesperson for PepsiCo told just-drinks today (14 April) the Coca-Cola's claim is "completely false".
"As the category leader, we have a responsibility to ensure consumers are accurately informed about t he benefits of a sports drink. And the truth is scientists say there is no evidence that Powerade ION4 is a more complete sports drink than Gatorade," the spokesperson for the Gatorade brand said.
A spokesperson for Coca-Cola told just-drinks: "We stand behind our product and are prepared to defend the role Powerade plays in hydrating consumers."
The opportunity to grab some time with the chief marketing officer of a company the size of The Coca-Cola Co. doesn't come along very often. However, when just-drinks was invited to Zurich by the comp...
The economic downturn has impacted all consumer spending, and sales of soft drinks are no exception. But ready-to-drink tea is well positioned to be fairly resilient in this environment, due to its na...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Plano-based PepsiCo reported what it described as a "solid" profit performance in its third quarter of 2009 yesterday (8 October), beating analyst expectations....
Coca-Cola Co.'s Glacéau Vitaminwater XXX Triple Berry...
The Pepsi Bottling Group has confirmed details of its latest dividend payment....
PepsiCo said it sees 2010 as a "unique opportunity" to re-invest in long-term growth....
Falling costs and investments in innovation have helped PepsiCo today (8 October) reported a solid profit performance in its third quarter of 2009, despite a dip in revenues....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- China to axe duty on Australian wine
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research