CHINA: PepsiCo sells bottling operations to Tingyi Holding Corp
PepsiCo is understood to be in talks to sell its bottling operations in China
PepsiCo has sold its bottling operations in China to Tingyi (Cayman Islands) Holding Corp in exchange for a stake in the noodle and soft drinks maker's business.
In an announcement to the Hong Kong stock exchange today (4 November), Tingyi said it has purchased PepsiCo's entire soft drinks bottling business in China in exchange for a 5% interest in its beverage unit. PepsiCo will also have the option to increase this to 20% by 2015 on a fully diluted basis.
Under the deal, Tingyi's beverage subsidiary, Tingyi-Asahi Beverages Holding Co Ltd (TAB), will become PepsiCo's franchise bottler in China. TAB's products include ready-to-drink tea, bottled water and juice beverages.
PepsiCo currently operates its China beverage business through 24 company-owned and joint venture bottling operations.
Upon approval of the transaction, PepsiCo will transfer its indirect equity interests in the bottlers to TAB, in return for a 5% indirect equity interest in TAB.
In a separate statement, PepsiCo said that the shareholdings of its existing Chinese joint-venture partners in the new bottling operations will not change as a result of the transaction.
As part of the new alliance, TAB will partner with PepsiCo's current bottlers to manufacture, sell and distribute PepsiCo's CSD and Gatorade brands in China. PepsiCo will retain branding and marketing responsibilities in the country.
TAB will also begin co-branding its juice products under the Tropicana brand name under a license from PepsiCo. In addition, PepsiCo will provide access to its global beverage innovation pipeline.
PepsiCo was never going to win many prizes for its first-quarter showing, but management is keen to show that its mammoth restructuring plan is a case of 'so far, so good'....
Earlier this week, Harris Interactive released its annual study of brand health for beverages in the US....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends