US: PepsiCo pulls Mountain Dew ad after racism complaints
PepsiCo said the ad has been taken off its websites
PepsiCo has apologised for an online Mountain Dew ad that has been criticised for being racist and portraying violence against women.
The ad shows a white women on crutches identifying a subject out of a line up of black men that includes a goat. The goat threatens the woman, saying “betta not snitch on a playa” and causing her to run out of the room screaming.
The drinks and snack maker said the ad, made by rapper Tyler, The Creator, was pulled from all Mountain Dew channels as well as Tyler's following several complaints. “We apologise for this video and take full responsibility,” a PepsiCo spokesperson said today (2 May).
The ad can be viewed by pressing play, below.
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research