INDIA: PepsiCo pledges US$5.5bn investment
PepsiCo will sink the money into increased capacity
PepsiCo has said it has “only scratched the surface” of India's potential as it prepares to invest INR330bn (US$5.5bn) in the country by 2020.
The soft drinks and snacks maker will use the money to “significantly increase” capacity and expand selling and delivery infrastructure in India, it announced today (11 November). The company said it will continue to grow its product range through innovation.
“India is a country with huge potential and it remains an attractive, high-priority market for PepsiCo," said PepsiCo CEO & chairman Indra Nooyi. "We've built a highly successful business in India over the course of many years, and we believe we've only scratched the surface of the long-term growth opportunities that exist for PepsiCo and our partners.”
The injection follows PepsiCo's rivals, Coca-Cola Co's plan to make India its fifth-biggest market by 2020 as demand for soft drinks in the country continues to grow. In 2011, a report by The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India predicted India's non-alcoholic drinks market to grow by 20% a year until 2015.
Last year, Coca-Cola, which has posted annual double-digit volume growth in India over the past six years, said it would invest US$5bn in India by 2020.
To the casual observer, it was a sweet moment - the campaign director for a high-profile anti-sugar group delivering a fire-brand sermon to the massed ranks of the UK soft drinks industry....
Synopsis Canadean's "PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Ray Rowlands, of Drinksinfo Ltd, explores medicinal water, a segment of the bottled water category that, whilst offering undeniable health benefits, has been largely rejected by the global consumer....
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
PepsiCo China Ltd is seeking sustainable growth by enhancing brand awareness around the world and bringing innovative products to the marketplace....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018