US: PepsiCo notches NHL sponsorship
PepsiCo has edged out Coca-Cola Co. by signing a sponsorship deal with the National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA).
Coke has had a relationship with hockey since 1989, and signed a four-year extension in 2001, according to Bloomberg, but a multi-year arrangement is due to roll over into Pepsi's hands from 1 July.
Pepsi will gain exclusive rights in the beverage, sports beverage, bottled water and snack categories, as well as select marketing and promotional rights in North America. The company's Gatorade brand will also become the official sports drink of the NHL, replacing Powerade on the benches of all 30 NHL teams for hydration purposes.
PepsiCo sales president Al Carey said: "PepsiCo is very enthusiastic about the partnership between the exciting new NHL brand and the broad range of brands in our portfolio. We will be able to bring the retail activation of hockey to many of our customers across all of North America."
Coca-Cola was unavailable for comment when contacted by just-drinks today (20 June).
"We're proud to have PepsiCo as a part of the NHL team. As an all-star company with all-star brands that NHL fans enjoy, it's a great fit between our two organisations," said Ed Horne, president, NHL Enterprises. "We welcome PepsiCo on the ice, and we look forward to a partnership founded in the passion of the game."
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are looking to expand their presence in the European water market, where they both lag some way behind market leaders Danone and Nestlé. Coca-Cola has made a number of important ...
Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo received temporary relief today (12 December) in India's pesticides row when the country's Supreme Court delayed the verdict in the controversial contamination case for two m...
Full-sugar carbonated soft drinks will be banned from New Zealand's secondary schools in three years, following an agreement between the country's government, Coca-Cola Amatil and PepsiCo's local dist...
The case of a former Coca-Cola employee accused of trying to sell company secrets to PepsiCo is heating up ahead of the impending trial....
Coca-Cola Co has failed to register its Ipsei brand as a UK registered trademark amid objections that it sounds too similar that of rival brand Pepsi....
PepsiAmericas has restructured its sales force in the US as it looks to make drive efficiencies from the business across the country....
PepsiCo has received US antitrust clearance to buy Naked Juice Co. from private equity firm North Castle Partners....
The Indian state of Kerala is refusing to give up in its bid to keep its ban on Coca-Cola and PepsiCo drinks over allegations they contained pesticides....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research