USA: PepsiCo faces $209 million lawsuit from Peruvian bottler
Soft drink giant PepsiCo has been accused, in a lawsuit issued by Peruvian bottler Compania Emobtelladora Del Pacifico SA, of wrongfully terminating a 47-year exclusive bottling contract and causing the company financial problems.Embotelladora filed the suit in Manhattan on Wednesday. It claims that PepsiCo terminated its bottling agreement in March 1999 so that it could pursue agreements with Rivera and Frontera, two other Peruvian bottling companies. Both these companies were granted certain tax exemptions allowing them to sell products at lower prices. The suit says that Pepsi "intended to take advantage of these exemptions and drive its competitors, particularly Coca-Cola, from the market."Embotelladora also claims that after a successful relationship with Pepsi for a number of years the cola giant failed to promote its soft drink in Peru, and that any marketing campaigns by Pepsi were poorly conceived and unsuccessful. This left Compania Embotelladora facing financial problems.Further claims by Embotelladora accuse Pepsi of blocking the sale of the company to Rivera as well as refusing to allow Compania Embotelladora to bottle its own brand of soft drinks.The lawsuit seeks more than $209m in damages.Charles Nicolas, spokesman for Pepsi told just-drinks.com: "We have not seen the complaint so there is not much we can say about it."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends