INDIA: PepsiCo denies regional chairman pushed out
PepsiCo said Anand is moving to a new company
PepsiCo has denied reports its India head has left the company because of poor performance, saying he has moved on to a new job.
The departure of Manu Anand, who took over as chairman of PepsiCo’s India Region in January 2011, was “a personal decision”, a PepsiCo India spokesperson told just-drinks today (21 June). “It has absolutely nothing to do with performance,” the spokesperson said.
“PepsiCo is one of the largest food and beverage businesses in India and has been consistently witnessing double-digit volume growth,” the spokesperson added.
A report in India's Economic Times claimed today that Anand's departure was “less than amicable”. The paper cited two unnamed sources who suggested that poor market share performance and an overspend on cricket sponsorship had contributed to his leaving.
However, the report also quoted Anand from an internal memo saying he is taking “early retirement from PepsiCo”. “I just want some time out,” he said, adding: “My decision to move out is personal … I am evaluating options.”
Anand was responsible for beverages and food in India for PepsiCo and neighbouring South Asian countries except Pakistan. His successor will be announced “in due course”, a company spokesperson said.
Anand joined the group in 1994 as CFO for Frito-Lay India
The news comes as the Coca-Cola Co this week promoted its India region head to a combined post covering India and Greater China.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2013....
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Ranked sixth in hot drinks in 2012, the company has a strong presence in other hot drinks, in particular in chocolate-based flavoured powder drinks under the Toddy brand. Competing for the same target...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets