US: PepsiCo denies change to Diet Pepsi formula
PepsiCo said it will not change its Diet Pepsi formula
PepsiCo has denied it will change its Diet Pepsi recipe in the US.
The announcement follows a Dow Jones report claiming PepsiCo is considering a change to its US formula to maintain taste during shipping.
The report, which cited two unnamed bottlers, said the change will happen early next year. Other sources suggested the company was planning to adjust the sweetner in Diet Pepsi so it retains its potency for longer.
A PepsiCo spokersperson told just-drinks: “While we are always looking at ways to provide the best consumer experience, we have no intention of changing the Diet Pepsi formula or the great taste that our consumers know and love.”
Diet Pepsi, like many other zero-calorie drinks, uses artificial sweetener aspartame instead of sugar. Aspartame breaks down in its journey from factory to fridge, losing some of its sweetness.
The Diet Pepsi formula is the same all over the world, but levels of sweetener can vary, just-drinks understands.
PepsiCo has already experimented in the low-calorie cola market with the release of Pepsi Next earlier this year.
Pepsi Next has 60% less sugar than original Pepsi and is designed to appeal to consumers that want the taste of a full-calorie cola but with reduced sugar.
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
The boss of Dr Pepper Snapple Group has said he will not let "threats" to the industry over obesity concerns affect the group's volumes. ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review