US: PepsiCo defends skinny can "offensive" attack
PepsiCo's new 'skinny' can has received criticism from health organisations
PepsiCo has moved to defend itself from criticism over the launch of its new Diet Pepsi 'skinny' can.
Last week the US beverage giant announced the launch of the slimmer can in the US in March. The new format, designed to "connect better with the cola's core female market", launched at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York last week.
However, the design has met with criticism from health organisations, who claim the firm's marketing for the can is "ill-conceived" and "offensive".
"It is painful that a major fortune 500 company needs to denigrate the majority of women in this country to sell their products," said National Eating Disorders Association president and CEO, Lynn Grefe. "Most women are not skinny, nor should we encourage them to be anything but their own personal healthy size. The focus should be on health."
Despite the criticism, PepsiCo defended the new look. A spokesperson for the firm told just-drinks: "We are sensitive to this interpretation, and that is definitely not our intent.
"We intend to highlight the innovative look for Diet Pepsi and provide our fans with an 'inside look' at events that celebrate innovation and style."
Our latest management briefing, a combined effort with our sister site, just-food, is an extended, three-part preview of 'Social Media in the Food and Drinks Industry', a report now available on just-...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages