USA: PepsiCo could be forced to sell All-Sport
Neither Pepsi or Quaker Oats would discuss the Federal Trade Commission's request for additional information in connection with its antitrust review.
Dick Detwiler at PepsiCo told just-drinks.com: "This kind of request is not uncommon in a deal of this size and we fully anticipated it."
But a report by Wall Street Journal claims that "while the FTC is not expected to derail the deal, it could force Pepsi to sell off an overlapping product line or impose other restrictions as a condition of approval."
The WSJ report also claims that lawyers familiar with the review say that, at a minimum, Pepsi might be forced to sell its third-ranked All-Sport drink as it competes with Quaker's Gatorade, which has an 84% share of US sports drinks.
If the acquisition goes ahead, opposition to the deal also claim that Pepsi will be in a much stronger position to force pricing and with Gatorade it will dominate shelf space.
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends