FRANCE: PepsiCo considering French purchases – report
US soft drinks giant PepsiCo is keen to acquire in France, according to local reports.
In an interview with La Tribune newspaper yesterday (20 July), the new head of Pepsi's French operations, Vincent Prolongeau, said that the group was keen to buy in the country, but would not be making any hostile bids.
Prolongeau's comments follow speculation last year that Pepsi was looking at buying French food and drinks group Danone.
"The group is working on projects for external growth in Europe and more particularly in France," Prolongeau told the paper. "Our priority is to acquire products that have a nutritional profile that is in line with the new consumer demands in this area.
He added: "On top of that, as is our house policy, we will not act in a hostile way."
Prolongeau pointed out, however, that the company was not looking to buy water companies in France. "The market is too concentrated between the two big global players (Danone and Nestle) for us to be able to find a place," he told La Tribune. "But if we do not plan to attack the mineral water market, we do not preclude ourselves from launching drinks in new segments."
Rumours that Pepsi was interested in buying Danone reached a peak in July last year when the French government threatened to intervene should the French company look close to falling into foreign hands.
Although iced tea has established a strong presence in Japan and the US, the product has been slower to take off in other markets. Richard Corbett, strategic analyst with research company Canadean, as...
Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are looking to expand their presence in the European water market, where they both lag some way behind market leaders Danone and Nestlé. Coca-Cola has made a number of important ...
The Coca-Cola Co. is set to introduce its best-selling fruit juice brand Minute Maid into the Indian market in the coming months....
Company Products International (CPI), the Denmark-based consumer products marketing company, has reached an agreement to buy the private-label business of mineral water company Aqua d'or....
Panimoliitto, Finland's brewing and soft drinks industry central organisation, has agreed not to market soft drinks in the country to children under the age of 12....
PepsiCo has lined up a worldwide marketing campaign for its Pepsi-Cola cans, starting next month....
PepsiCo has dismissed a claim from a former employee that it evaded import duties totalling over US$100m....
PepsiCo's acquisition of self-styled super premium juice producer Naked Juice Co. has been completed....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future