US: PepsiCo chief adds to criticism of NFL over abuse claims
Indra Nooyi has spoken out over the NFL abuse issue
PepsiCo's CEO Indra Nooyi has said she is “deeply disturbed” by reports of abuse by US National Football League players and the game's administrators' “mishandling” of the claims.
In a statement late yesterday, Nooyi added her voice to criticism of the NFL's apparent lack of strong action on the allegations of domestic violence and child abuse. “I am deeply disturbed that the repugnant behaviour of a few players and the NFL's acknowledged mishandling of these issues, is casting a cloud over the integrity of the league and the reputations of the majority of players who've dedicated their lives to a career they love,” Nooyi said.
“When it comes to child abuse and domestic violence, there is no middle ground. The behaviours are disgusting, absolutely unacceptable, and completely fly in the face of the values we at PepsiCo believe in and cherish.”
PepsiCo sponsors the league through its Pepsi-Cola brand, Gatorade and snack unit Frito-Lay.
Nooyi added: "Given PepsiCo's long-standing partnership with the NFL, I know Roger Goodell. We have worked together for many years. I know him to be a man of integrity, and I am confident that he will do the right thing for the league in light of the serious issues it is facing.”
Anheuser-Busch has also voiced its concern about the claims and the NFL's approach to the issue. McDonald's, Visa, and Campbell Soup have also reportedly expressed their dismay.
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends