INDIA: PepsiCo CEO voices regret over pesticide row
PepsiCo's CEO has admitted she made a mistake in not standing up against the pesticides-in-cola controversy.
Speaking yesterday (7 June), Indra Nooyi told reporters at BusinessWeek that she regretted her inaction in defending the company over a controversial report claiming there were high levels of pesticides in the soft drinks.
Nooyi said: "One thing I should have done was to appear in India three years ago and say: 'Cut it out. These products are the safest in the world, bar none, and your tests are wrong.'"
In December, India's health minister reportedly called for a ban on the sale of soft drinks in schools and universities amidst the controversy. The call came despite India's Health Ministry backing Coke and Pepsi in their legal battles against a number of Indian states that had banned the companies' products in the wake of the pesticide scare.
"Combine the public seeing the mercenary side of us, along with the fact that this was an American company," Nooyi also told the magazine.
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is looking to reduce its stake in bottler PepsiAmericas....
Coca-Cola Amatil has upped its profit forecast for the second half of this year....
PepsiCo has announced a change within its communications team....
The European marketing director of adult beverages at Coca-Cola GB is set to move to the Far East....
PepsiCo India has signed a MOU with Punjab Agro Juices Limited (PAJL) for processing tomatoes and kinnows - an orange authentic to the Punjab region - at the PAJL plant in Hoshiarpur....
The original inventor of the PepsiCo-owned sports drink Gatorade has died at the age of eighty....
PepsiCo has confirmed that it plans to reduce its stake in its bottler PepsiAmericas, according to a recent filing....
Coca-Cola North America has unveiled a new television advert aimed at family audiences across the US....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review