US: PepsiCo appoints science chief
Food and beverage giant PepsiCo has announced the appointment of Dr Mehmood Khan as chief scientific officer, a newly-created role.
Khan will guide the company's long-term research strategy and agenda for business opportunities, PepsiCo said yesterday (12 December), reporting directly to chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi.
He will also provide global leadership and support to division research and development groups in the areas of enterprise research planning, R&D portfolio management, next generation technologies, nutritional standards, food safety and regulation, and quality assurance, the company added.
"Mehmood is an accomplished medical professional with a proven R&D track record and I am proud and delighted to welcome him to PepsiCo," said Nooyi. "I know he'll play a key role helping us maintain and step up our leadership in innovation, developing products that meet the ever-changing needs of today's consumers."
With 20 years' experience in the medical and pharmaceutical field, Khan most recently served as president of Takeda Pharmaceuticals Global Research and Development Center. As an MD with specialties in internal medicine and endocrinology, he has extensive academic and clinical experience, having worked at the Mayo Clinic and spent six years with the department of food, sciences and nutrition at the University of Minnesota.
PepsiCo returned to the headlines last month, when it announced its plans to buy a major stake in Russian juice company Lebedyansky. The transaction, for a 75% stake in the company - which accounts fo...
PepsiCo is aiming to become the largest beverage company in Russia and its recent acquisition of a majority stake in the juice company, JSC Lebedyansky, represents an important step towards achieving ...
Tapping into demand for healthier beverages, the fresh fruit smoothie has been one of the success stories of soft drinks market in recent years, particularly in the UK. Annette Farr takes a look at ot...
Britvic has introduced Pepsi Xtra Cold to the UK on-trade as a way of enabling draught cola to be served "extra cold"....
Leading Brands has posted a slip in sales and a rise in net losses for its latest fiscal year....
American Enterprise Development Corp (AEDC) and Havoc Distribution have appointed a former Pepsi senior manager to a consultancy role within the company....
PepsiCo is refusing to be drawn on reports it is being taken to court by Apple Rush over the alleged usurping of its brand name in India....
PepsiCo and Britvic are launching a GBP5m (US$9.8m) advertising campaign for sports drink Gatorade in the UK....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends