US: PepsiAmericas rejects PepsiCo takeover bid
PepsiAmericas said today (7 May) that it has informed PepsiCo's board that the bid is "not acceptable" and "significantly undervalues" its business.
PepsiCo, which already owns 33% of PBG and 43% of PepsiAmericas, last month offered to buy all outstanding shares in the bottlers for a combined US$6bn.
Earlier this week, Pepsi Bottling Group (PBG) rejected a similar takeover proposal from PepsiCo as "grossly inadequate".
PepsiAmericas said that PepsiCo's offer to buy up shares at $11.64 per share in cash and 0.223 shares of PepsiCo common stock per PepsiAmericas common share is not in the best interests of its shareholders.
The bottler said: "Fundamentally, the proposal does not reflect the value of PepsiAmericas' strengths and stand-alone strategies, as evidenced by the company's strong first quarter results. It also substantially undervalues the synergies that can be obtained in the proposed transaction."
Both PBG and PepsiAmericas established special committees of independent directors to consider the PepsiCo proposal.
There's no doubt what's currently exercising the minds of beverage executives in the US - the threat of a Federal CSD tax. Now that President Obama has said the idea is worth investigating the ante ha...
The Coca-Cola Co reported flat earnings on Tuesday (20 October), with lower-than-expected quarterly revenue hurt by the stronger US dollar. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
Britvic has declined to comment on a report that it is looking to raise US$150m (GBP91.5m) via a private share placement in the US....
PepsiAmericas has posted a fall in third-quarter profits, but declared itself "satisfied" with the performance....
The European Commission has approved PepsiCo's proposed purchases of two of its major bottlers, PepsiAmericas and Pepsi Bottling Group....
Ocean Spray and PepsiCo have expanded their strategic alliance in the US to include more of the cranberry grower cooperative's portfolio....
Following the news this week that The Coca-Cola Co is to open a still beverage production plant in China - the company's largest single investment in still beverage production facilities in the countr...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends