US: PepsiAmericas raises guidance on Q2 rise
Soft drinks bottler PepsiAmericas has raised its full-year earnings guidance, despite a drop in profits and net sales in the second quarter of 2009.
PepsiAmericas said today (28 July) that it expected earnings per share to hit a range of US$1.87 to $1.94, compared to a previously stated range of $1.83 to $1.9.
The uprgade reflects "the strong first half results of its US business", said the bottler.
Net sales for the three months to the end of June fell by 6% to $1.3bn, although rose by 5% in the US market. Declines in Central and Eastern Europe and in non-carbonated soft drinks dragged the group's volume sales down by 5% for the three months, compared to the same period last year.
Net profits for the second quarter fell by around a third, from $90.8m last year to $61.4m. Operating profits fell by 4% to $158.8m.
Group chairman and CEO Robert Pohlad said: "We are pleased with our second quarter results, which build on a solid first quarter performance. The strength of our brands combined with our continued strategic investments and consistent improvement in productivity have provided us with the flexibility to manage through today's economic reality."
For the official statement from PepsiAmericas, click here.
An update, with further comments from the company's webcast, appears here.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read News Stories of 2009....
It would appear that, beyond the shadow of one major transaction, the soft drinks and water categories had a year of innovation and controversy. A colourful 12 months for the sector, then, as Ben Coop...
As the decade draws to a close and just-drinks reflects on its first ten years of publication, our editorial team picks the ten stories that defined the noughties for the drinks industry and shaped ou...
PepsiCo will acquire rights to certain Dr Pepper Snapple drinks, the soft drinks giant has announced, at the same time as trimming full-year sales and profits guidance....
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- A-B InBev in China - just the Facts
- Diageo readies "not quite as sincere" Scotch
- Craft more about stories than M&A for Diageo
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Vodka Market 2015-2019