US: Pepsi to launch blue, berry-flavoured brand extension
Soft drinks giant PepsiCo, has joined Coca-Cola in reinvigorating its flagship brand by announcing plans to launch a blue version of Pepsi-Cola. The announcement comes a week before the launch of Coca-Cola's Vanilla Coke.
The Purchase, N.Y.-based company said yesterday that it hoped the berry flavoured drink would reinvigorate the cola category by appealing to teens and young adults and would be rolled out in August.
"With its unique look and taste, Pepsi Blue has the potential to reinvigorate the cola category," said Gary Rodkin, president and CEO of PCNA. "We're convinced innovation is the key to growth. In the past 15 months alone, with exciting new products like Mountain Dew Code Red, Pepsi Twist and Sierra Mist, we've proved consumers - particularly teens and young adults - will respond enthusiastically to new carbonated soft drinks. We think Pepsi Blue can do for cola what Code Red did for Dew - that is, grow the entire category."
The launch of Pepsi Blue will reflect the success of Mountain Dew Code Red, one of the few drinks to draw new consumers recently, which was introduced by Pepsi last spring.
"Code Red is a great success model for us to follow," said Dave Burwick, senior vice president of marketing for Pepsi-Cola North America. "We basically hope Pepsi Blue" can do for the Pepsi trademark "what Code Red has done for the Mountain Dew trademark."
Pepsi will follow much the same marketing pattern for Pepsi Blue that it did for Code Red, by gradually building Pepsi Blue awareness among retail customers and consumers. Sampling efforts will begin in teen hangouts and other youth-oriented venues over the next few weeks. The impending introduction of Pepsi Blue also will be teased on the Internet, outdoor postings and other non-traditional outlets.
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
PepsiCo's president and CFO, Indra Nooyi, has been forced to apologise for remarks she made whilst speaking to the 2005 graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City last ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Diageo unveils Blender's Batch in the US
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts