FRANCE: Pepsi reignites Danone speculation
Speculation over a possible bid to takeover Danone has been reignited, helping to drive the French group's share price back up once more.
Danone's share price dived yesterday on news that AMF, the French stock market regulator, said that PepsiCo had indicated to it that it would not be making a bid for Danone.
However, a report by the Financial Times said PepsiCo Inc has not directly discussed Groupe Danone with the AMF, France's stock market regulator.
According the FT website, the soft drink giant has said that it has only confirmed that it was in compliance with all rules governing mergers and acquisitions.
When the FT contacted the AMF, it said that Danone hadn't been directly mentioned by PepsiCo, however, the US company's statement amounted to a confirmation that it wasn't preparing a bid.
As traders this morning questioned whether PepsiCo had actually renounced a bid on Danone or not, the French group's share price rose 2.9% by 1005 GMT.
Meanwhile, the French newspaper La Tribune today reported that Danone was looking to bolster itself against any future foreign takeover by placing up to 20% of its share capital with friendly shareholders.
La Tribune believes Danone wants bank Credit Agricole as one of these investors.
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is to drop its low-calorie drink Pepsi Edge....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
PepsiCo is rolling out a lime version of its Pepsi and Diet Pepsi brands....
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
PepsiAmericas yesterday reported a small rise in first quarter net income and earnings per share to US$20.8m and US$0.15 respectively. The results compares to net income of US$20.5m US$0.14 for the fi...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends