US: Pepsi confirms it is losing its Edge
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is to drop its low-calorie drink Pepsi Edge. The beverage sold only 8.6m cases in its first six months since its nationwide release in June last year. US sales of Coca-Cola's C2 low calorie drink mustered 25m cases in the same time frame.
Speaking to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Pepsi spokesman Dave DeCecco said that the mid-calorie segment "just hasn't met expectations.
"People give us credit for trying new things," he told the paper. "Consumers are more interested in zero-calorie diet colas, so we're going to focus our energy on Diet Pepsi and Pepsi One."
Pepsi Edge, which contains 50 calories per eight-ounce serving, uses a blend of Splenda (sucralose) and high fructose corn syrup.
As recently after the drink's launch as July last year, analyst Mark Swartzberg warned that mid-calorie colas would be either "slow builds or something closer to dead on arrival."
Coke told the Journal-Constitution that C2 will continue to be available.
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Rumours that PepsiCo may make a bid for Danone have intensified, leading to concerns from the French Government....
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Half-year sales lift for Pernod Ricard
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research