MEXICO: Pepsi complaints of Coke practices grow stronger
Since filing a complaint in April against Coca-Cola with the Mexican anti-monopolies watchdog, the Federal Competition Commission, PepsiCo is claiming to have more than 400 signed affidavits from Mexican store owners who claim to have witnessed agreements in which Coke has provided coolers and paid out cash bonuses in exchange for the stores exclusively selling its products.Pepsi and two further local soft drink companies Aga and Mundet are all accusing Coca-Cola of blocking them out of the market through exclusive agreements with retailers. Pepsi is also blaming the tactics used by the world's number one beverage company for its steady decline in market share.Coca-Cola's distribution network of trailers and bicycles reaches more than 900,000 points of sale and market research group, AC Nielsen has said Coca-Cola sales account for 71.5% of Mexico's soft drinks market. In the US the capita consumption of Coke is 100 litres, in the northern Mexican city of Monterrey alone the per capita consumption is 165 litres a year.Joseph Bormann, corporate analyst with Fitch in Chicago said: "Coca-Cola has clearly been able to ingrain itself into the Mexican mentality, it has done a better job reaching the Mom 'n' Pop stores and for many people in Mexico that is the only access they have."Coca-Cola has dropped a court appeal challenging a decision by the Federal Competition Commission stopping a planned merger with Cadbury Schweppes in Mexico. Coca-Cola spokesman Rodrigo Calderon told the press the company has offered to enter into talks with the anti-monopolies watchdog in an attempt to come to a settlement over Pepsi's complaints.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends