BRAZIL: Pepsi challenges Coke over Brazil tea buy
The US company has said that it believes Coca-Cola's proposed buy of Leao Junior would create "a larger concentration in the tea industry", Dow Jones cited a company official saying yesterday (2 April).
"We have appealed to the Brazilian Consumer Affairs Division, or SDE, to see all documents presented by Coca-Cola regarding this acquisition. From my point of view, there will be a larger concentration in the tea industry with the acquisition, which is terrible for the consumer," Jose Talarico, vice president of Pepsi's legal department in Brazil and Latin America, told the new service.
Coca-Cola confirmed its intention to buy Leao Junior, which produces the Matte Leao RTD tea brand, last month for an undisclosed fee. But Pepsi is concerned that the acquisition will make Coca-Cola by far the leading player in the RTD tea market in the country. Matte Leao accounted for 45.7% of the market last year, while Nestea, which Coca-Cola jointly owns with Nestlé, held 24.4%.
"A final decision on the deal should be made by Cade (the Justice Ministry's Antitrust Division)," Talarico told the news service. "I expect a decision in the next six to 12 months, but we are preparing for a legal battle."
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for PepsiCo confirmed the move, but would not be drawn further on the reports.
Starbucks and PepsiCo have unveiled plans to expand their relationship beyond North America and into China....
Coca-Cola HBC Eurasia has signed an investment agreement with the administration of the Rostov region for the development of its 14th production plant in Russia....
Coca-Cola Amatil has said that The Coca-Cola Co. plans to sell off a portion of its stake in the company to buy into CCA's former South Korean business....
San Miguel Corp is reportedly returning to the soft drinks industry through its brewery in Hong Kong....
Coca-Cola Enterprises has teamed up with Domino's Pizza to make its sugar-free Coca-Cola Zero brand available in all Domino's stores in the US....
Coca-Cola North America has introduced Pomegranate Blueberry flavour to its Minute Maid Enhanced Juices line in the US....
Calories from beverages shipped to schools has decreased due to the beverage industry's progress implementing the National School Beverage Guidelines....
Coca-Cola Icecek, an affiliate of the Coca-Cola Co., is awaiting competition board approval over the acquisition of Turkish tea company Dogadan Gida Urunleri Sanayii ve Pazarlama A.S....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future