AUS: Penfolds MD leaves Treasury Wine Estates
TWE has parted company with the head of its Penfolds brand
The head of Treasury Wine Estates' Penfolds wine brand has left the company with “immediate effect” after a year in the role, the company has confirmed.
Gary Burnand, who became MD of the brand last March, will be replaced by Simon Marton, head of TWE's Wolf Blass unit, while the group seeks a permanent replacement. Burnand, who joined the company in December 2011, reported in to TWE chief executive David Dearie.
In an email to staff, reported by The Australian, Dearie wrote: “Following discussion over the future strategic direction of Penfolds, we both felt that now was the right time for Gary to leave Treasury to pursue other opportunities."
A TWE spokesperson has confirmed the story to just-drinks, but said the company is not issuing a media statement.
Burnand was responsible for “setting and driving the strategic direction” of the Penfolds brand.
The company, which broke off from Foster's Group in 2011 to become a standalone company, did not comment on Penfold's performance in its first-half results statement last month, as it saw group sales and profits slide.
Bibendum Wines took on the distribution of Penfolds in the UK last month.
UK deliveries of Heineken and Britvic brands could be affected by a 24-hour strike by workers at logistics firm Kuehne + Nagel, according to trade union Unite....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts