NEW ZEALAND: Passionfruit Meets Pilsner In New Wine Beer
AroMac has been brewed using a new hop called Nelson Sauvin, which has been in development for 15 years. "The new hop brings a highly aromatic sauvignon blanc character to the pilsner lager. Gooseberries, passionfruit and an earthy grassiness create a refreshing lager experience," says McCashin.
The hop was developed by scientist Dr. Ron Beatson at Hort Research. Beatson says only 15 hop cultivars have been produced in the last 40 years so Nelson Sauvin is a major step in new brewing opportunities. McCashin's will produce 100,000 litres of AroMac, which will sell for NZ$9.95 (about US$20) for a four-pack. Initial sales will be in New Zealand but Lion Nathan, which is providing marketing backup for AroMac, is keen to sell the Nelson Sauvin hop in other countries.
McCashin's head brewer Tracey Banner told just-drinks.com: "The beer's character comes from the new hop and it is a drink that is not just for women. It is for everyone, especially the beer connoisseur. We didn't
want a bitter so we have gone for hopiness so it is very smooth and very moorish.
According to just-drinks' speciality beer tasters, AroMac is indeed smooth and rich in hops. The initial taste is all hops but the after-taste, at the top of the palette, is definitely sauvignon blanc. The combination is not unattractive but is certainly surprising given the faces on our testers.
just-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Companies: Lion Nathan
After some less than successful diversification in recent years, Lion Nathan is focusing its attentions back on beer and winning the approval of analysts in the process. The company looks set to gain ...
Integrating spirits, wine and beer has proved problematic for major drinks groups over the years but expansionary moves by the two major Australian brewers, Foster's Group and Lion Nathan, suggest tha...
Lion Nathan has appointed a new non-executive director....
Coopers Brewery is fighting the takeover attempt from fellow Australian brewer Lion Nathan....
Lion Nathan today announced that it intends to make an off-market offer for Coopers Brewery Ltd (Coopers). The offer of A$260 per share in cash values Coopers at A$352m....
Lion Nathan has received further assurances that it is not about to be taken over....
Lion Nathan has played down speculation that it may be the subject of a takeover....
Lion Nathan has said it is on target to reach its full-year net profit after tax forecast for 2005 of between A$230m and A$235m before one-off charges....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research