NEW ZEALAND: Passionfruit Meets Pilsner In New Wine Beer
New Zealand speciality brewer McCashin's is launching a wine-tasting beer. The new beer, called AroMac, is designed to appeal to people looking for a new beer-drinking experience. McCashin's, founded by former rugby international Terry McCashin, produces limited brews from designer hops.AroMac has been brewed using a new hop called Nelson Sauvin, which has been in development for 15 years. "The new hop brings a highly aromatic sauvignon blanc character to the pilsner lager. Gooseberries, passionfruit and an earthy grassiness create a refreshing lager experience," says McCashin.The hop was developed by scientist Dr. Ron Beatson at Hort Research. Beatson says only 15 hop cultivars have been produced in the last 40 years so Nelson Sauvin is a major step in new brewing opportunities. McCashin's will produce 100,000 litres of AroMac, which will sell for NZ$9.95 (about US$20) for a four-pack. Initial sales will be in New Zealand but Lion Nathan, which is providing marketing backup for AroMac, is keen to sell the Nelson Sauvin hop in other countries.McCashin's head brewer Tracey Banner told just-drinks.com: "The beer's character comes from the new hop and it is a drink that is not just for women. It is for everyone, especially the beer connoisseur. We didn'twant a bitter so we have gone for hopiness so it is very smooth and very moorish.According to just-drinks' speciality beer tasters, AroMac is indeed smooth and rich in hops. The initial taste is all hops but the after-taste, at the top of the palette, is definitely sauvignon blanc. The combination is not unattractive but is certainly surprising given the faces on our testers. David Robertsonjust-drinks.com Asia-Pacific correspondent
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research